Toaster Oven Brown Betty
This recipe serves 4-6.
These days most folks have air conditioning in the south, and don’t think twice about turning on the oven in the middle of a heat wave. Well I am one of the hold-outs. We don’t have air conditioning and so I have come up with creative ways to bake without heating up the whole darn house! Of course you can make this in a regular oven, but if you want to save energy find a pan that fits in your toaster oven and give it a try.
4 cups berries
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup oats
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick butter – cut in chunks (8 Tablespoons)
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the fruit filling in a large bowl.
- In another bowl combine Brown Betty ingredients. Use fingertips or a pastry cutter to work butter into flour mixture – it will resemble a coarse meal with pea sized chunks.
- Put about half of the brown betty mixture into a 7X9 inch oven proof dish (make sure pan fits in toaster I have even used a large bread loaf pan).
- Layer the fruit on top, and spread remaining half of brown betty mixture on top of berries.
- Pre-heat toaster oven to 375 degrees. If cooking in regular oven 350 degrees.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil (only cover if in toaster) and bake for one hour until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown.