Curried Spinach and Chickpea Stew
Serves 4-6 people
This stew is hearty yet manages to feel light at the same time. It is chock full of veggies, but it doesn't take lots of time to prepare. I like to serve it with our french bread brushed with a little garlic butter and an arugula apple salad for a fantastic fall supper.
5 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1 cup carrots peeled and sliced
1 small onion – diced
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic – crushed
1 Tbsp. sea salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. thyme - dried
4 tsp. good smelling curry powder
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 -15oz cans)
3 cups soy, almond or coconut milk
16 oz. fresh spinach or 10 oz. frozen
- Put water on to boil.
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a fine mesh sieve then add quinoa and carrots to the water.
- Bring to a boil and allow to cook about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onions in oil on low heat until tender.
- Add garlic, spices and lemon juice to the pan with the onions and saute for a minute or two.
- Add onion mixture to the soup pot.
- Add the spinach, milky stuff and chickpeas
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for a minute or two.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.