Makes 2-8” rounds or 2 dozen cupcakes
If you’ve never made a cake before, this is a great one to start with. You will impress everyone, including yourself. I made this strawberry cake for my best friend's wedding, and even though I was baking at high elevation (different pressure levels change chemical reactions) and was just getting over the stomach flu, it turned out great. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting and top with fresh berries or eat it straight out of the pan for breakfast.
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup butter (one stick)-melted
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup half & half
3 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together oil, melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and half & half.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Add the strawberries to the bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula or a large spoon, fold together everything until well combined, but do not over stir.
- Grease two 8”round pans and lightly flour the bottoms of the pans or line 24 cupcake pans with papers
- Pour batter evenly into the pans.
- Bake for about 15-30 minutes depending on the size of your pan. Cupcakes will bake much more quickly. A toothpick inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean when the cake is done.
- Allow to cool completely in the pans before removing from the pan to frost.